Co.Create = Collaborate. Create.
Co.Create is a co-development program designed to support and enable students interested in healthcare innovation to tackle healthcare’s greatest challenges and develop scalable commercial ventures.
The Healthcare Transformation Lab at Massachusetts General Hospital, in partnership with MIT Hacking Medicine, developed Co.Create with the goal of transforming early-stage ideas into sustainable solutions through dedicated mentorship, funding, and support. The program pairs student innovators with subject matter experts and resources within an exceptional academic medical center and a leading healthcare innovation community.
Sustained engagement for great ideas
There is a currently a very large resource gap that students must overcome – largely by themselves. Even though some of these ideas are potentially revolutionary, many of these solutions never ultimately receive funding, or are implemented in a hospital. Co.Create hopes to fill the currently-existing resource gap for student healthcare entrepreneurs.
Reimagining the innovation process
Unfortunately, many novel and potentially revolutionary healthcare solutions never cross the finish line and aren’t implemented in the clinical setting. We think there are two key reasons why this occurs:
- clinical and end-user input is not provided early enough in the process and
- there is a lack of sustained engagement for great ideas that emerge from healthcare hackathons, business plan competitions, and medical device design and healthcare engineering classes.
Here's what you'll get:
- Medical expertise of leading MGH clinicians and researchers: Unprecedented access to leading clinicians, as well as patients – We’re opening the doors for student entrepreneurs who have an idea for an innovative healthcare product to Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Resources: We will try to provide you with in-kind resources from software programs you’d need to code, access to machine shops, etc. If it’s a resource at MGH or MIT, we try getting you access to it. We also have external partnerships that we can leverage to get you access to resources as needed.
- Dedicated office hours and hands-on support with our team: The Co.Create program management team at MGH will work with you every step of the way. Our team becomes part of your team; your team becomes part of ours. We’re heavily vested in your success and will work with you to help you internally navigate what would otherwise be a very complex web.
- Funding: Winning teams will receive seed funding to bring their idea to life and develop an implementable solution that solves a real pain point in healthcare. You will also receive other in-kind support.
Questions about the Co.Create Program? Visit our FAQs page.
Providing clinical input early
Valuable healthcare input and expertise that helps innovators determine whether their new product or service is usable, accurate, and safe in the real-world is usually provided after the idea and solution design has already matured (typically through clinical validation and pilots). If innovators make wrong assumptions about the clinical or business need that their solution is solving, pivoting causes the venture to lose momentum, interest, and support.
Through a semester of collaborative ideation and development in a rich mentorship ecosystem, Co.Create aims to validate healthcare needs and solutions with rapid iteration and support throughout the entire process. It’s a new approach to innovating in healthcare. We give you a supportive environment to “fail fast,” rapidly iterate, and find a real solution that can plug into a pain point in healthcare.